Chapter 21: Getty Villa

I couldn't go anywhere especially far for a year because my mother was alone, and I spent a lot of time with her. One day, near the end of the year, my mother became very healthy, and I seemed to open up my mind that had been closed to some extent. I sometimes remembered that a few days before my father's death, I had an argument on my way to the hospital and had to take a person from Korea to Redondo beach for a meal. I think it's time to be free, so I went to Redondo Beach right away with my mother. There weren't many people in Pier, but sometimes I see Koreans who seem to be tourists. I went to eat raw fish rice with my mother. It's the place I ate that day, and when the waitress saw my mother, she asked me how old she was. On my way back, my mother said it was delicious, so I asked her to go outing often in the future.

I made a reservation to go to Getty Villa. I can't remember because I came so long ago, but there were quite a few visitors. It's good to see my mother smiling every time she takes a picture. In the future, I said I would take her to all the places I've been to, and I would take her to all the restaurants I've been to. After that, Huntington Library, Descanso Garden, LACMA I went everywhere when I was in school, but I didn't go with my mother, so I visited when I went back. I went to a Korean restaurant to a modern franchise, and when my mother asked me to have a cup of coffee after eating, I went to a coffee shop and bought her a cup. I couldn't do it for my father, but seeing my mother like it, I feel like I'm letting go of my burden. What's interesting is that I go to a beef bowl restaurant on my way to school when I don't have money, and my mother rarely eats it, and she laughs because I eat it all in a few minutes, but she just says, "It's funny." And when I eat at a McDonald's where there were a lot of black people, she says, "You're going to make a lot of money," but I don't know the details.

Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, and Marina Del Rey are within an hour, so we often went here and there looking for new restaurants and cafes. When I push into my mother's wheelchair, everyone treats us kindly, waves, and greets us. My mother also likes it, and whenever she goes out, she looks forward to it, saying, "Where are we going today?" I used to increase the distance little by little and go to Laguna Beach to the south and Westlake Village to the north for a meal. My mother has become very healthy. They hold my hand tightly without sleeping even when ww go far away. I sometimes wish my father would have been with us for a long time. Sometimes it's good to see her eat well even if she goes to eat with our family.