Chapter 14: Oregon Coast

It is my first visit across state border to Oregon. The national official wouldn't have been bounded by a coastline, but the Oregon coast is quite unique compared to the California coast. There are so many rain, wind, and big stone islands. The size of the waves is also likely to swallow up the coast. The rain was dripping. I stayed one night at a hotel near Gold Beach, my first destination Beach. After taking a warm shower and heating the room with a heater, I felt tired and fell asleep quickly. The rain stopped when I left the hotel in the morning. But the strength of the wind outside was considerable. The grass looked greener and sharpener in the overnight rain, and it was lively. It was hard to see even the common franchise restaurant here. I went into a private restaurant and ordered an omelet and orange juice to waitress. Maybe because the native in Oregon didn't see Asians often, they looked at me somewhat curiously. Several other households who came to eat seem to be regulars and talk with their waitress happily. The food was worth eating.

After brunch, I took a rest in an area called Florence shortly after. A lighthouse came into sight beyond the sea. A long time ago, I saw a photo of a lighthouse with sunset in a magazine, and it was this lighthouse. It was an unplanned meeting, but it came as a welcome when I came across a place I wanted to go once. If I had planned it, I would have visited it, but I was a little disappointed that it was bypassed because of the next journey. Sometime further north, Newport came out. Newport, California or Rhode Island, was a wealthy village, while Newport, Oregon, was fairly modest. Going up the coast, I could easily access museums and history about tsunamis. The latest big tsunami is said to have occurred more than 200 years ago, and this periodic tsunami seems to have changed the coastal landscape significantly.

After a long road trip, Cannon Beach, the most romantic coast, came out. The sound of the big waves made me feel cool to the bottom of my heart. The house built on the cliff looks a little lonely, but it looks like the old man who knows the story of this place for a long time. The wooden bench in front of the coast was wet enough to not be able to actually sit down due to the drizzling rain, but the photo taken by camera shows that a grandfather with his grandson seems to tell the story of this place a long time ago. The wind blew considerably. The view of the coast on the camera was like a picture. I pressed the shutter of the camera continuously. My new iPhone also captures the appearance of this coast as a background screen. 

Almost up to the Washington state border, a city called Seaside emerged. There are many differences from Cannon Beach and other coasts in the south. It was a very modest seaside town. The first thing that stood out was the espresso signboards posted everywhere. I don't drink much coffee, but I also think of warm coffee due to hazy and wet weather, and people here seem to enjoy a darker espresso shot. A little further up comes Astoria, Oregon's northernmost beach, which was headed towards it, then turned to Portland after a moment's consideration at the fork of the road a few miles away to Portland. As I spent two days on the beach almost all day, I wanted to head to the mountain, but it became dark quickly because it was a cloudy day, so it would be good for my body to have dinner first in a bigger city. It seems right to say that "a load of bread is better than the song of many birds".